With the arrest of Sean Collins for allegedly hitting a woman at a bar, Purdue has the dubious distinction of pulling into a first-place tie in the Big Ten for the most athletes arrested in the last two years.
According to ArrestNation.com, here are the athletes from each Big Ten school who have been arrested since Aug. 3, 2010 (when their very worthy project began):
- Purdue – 9 Arrests (Matt Huene, Dwayne Beckford, Gerald Gooden, Will Lucas, D.J. Byrd, Ralph Bolden, Antavian Edison, Patrick Bade, Sean Collins)
- Illinois – 9 Arrests (Michael Buchanan, Hugh Thornton, Evan Frierson, Jason Ford, Chris Jones,Ashante Williams, Kenneth Knight, Jordan Frysinger, Justin Staples)
- Nebraska – 7 Arrests/Citations (Baker Steinkuhler, Rickey Thenarse, Justin Jackson, Lauren Cook,Mike Caputo, Eric Martin, Corey Hilliard Jr.)
- Iowa – 6 Arrests (Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, Adam Robinson, A.J. Derby, Montell Marion, Bobby Telford, Greg Garmon)
- Michigan State – 6 Arrests (Korie Lucious, Dion Sims, Chris Rucker, Brian Linthicum, Max Bullough,Derrick Nix)
- Penn State – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges (Clint Gyory, Sean Stanley, Johnnie Troutman, Andrew Long, Kevin Haplea, Shawn Oakman) *
- Ohio State – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges (Dominic Clarke, Dominic Clarke 2, Jack Mewhort, Jacob Stoneburner, Storm Klein, Paul Hamm)
- Michigan – 4 Arrests (Darryl Stonum, Marvin Robinson, Josh Furman, Will Campbell)
- Minnesota – 3 Arrests (Trevor Mbakwe, Ge’Shun Harris, Ra’Shede Hageman)
- Wisconsin – 2 Arrests (Jake Irwin, Montee Ball)
- Indiana – 1 Arrest (Peter St. Fort)
- Northwestern – 0
* Penn State’s listing is woefully incomplete, of course, though the list just pertains to current athletes at the school. We’ll name the Nittany Lions the default champions anyway. Amusingly, one of Penn State’s arrests (Clint Gyory) is the Nittany Lion mascot.
Update: August 1 numbers are here.