Penn State has reportedly decided on Bill O’Brien as the man to replace Joe Paterno and begin cleaning up the mess left behind in Happy Valley.
But who is Bill O’Brien? Let’s take a look:
Name: Bill O’Brien
Personal: Married to Colleen. Two sons, Jack and Michael
Playing career: Defensive end, linebacker at Brown University, 1990-92
- 1993-94: Brown, tight ends coach and inside linebackers coach
- 1995-2002: Georgia Tech, graduate assistant, running backs coach, quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator, assistant head coach
- 2003-04: Maryland, running backs coach
- 2005-06: Duke, offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach
- 2007-11: New England Patriots, offensive assistant, wide receivers coach, quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator
His Offensive Approach
Every offense has its own identity. I really believe that we’re definitely as cliché as it sounds, we’re a game plan offense. We look at the defense that we’re playing that week and we say, ‘Okay, how can we put our players into the position to do what they do best?’ It’s a very challenging deal, not only for the coaches but for the players.
And Then There Was This …