If your baseball, NFL, NBA or even NHL fantasy leagues aren’t enough, perhaps you’d like to consider starting a Big Ten fantasy basketball league like the one my friends and I have run for several years.
Here’s how it works:
Points are tallied (via old school spreadsheet, no fancy websites here!) by adding up the points + assists + rebounds + steals + blocks for your five starters. Simply put, the highest total points at the end of year wins.
You get a total of 7 players on a roster and have the opportunity to sub-in/out at four breaks in the season (every four games until the last six—I know if worked better in the quartile format before the 18 game-season).
Entry fee is 25 Widgets with 75 Widgets going to the regular season winner and 25 Widgets back at the winner with the best performance in the Big Ten tourney, where a different strategy prevails.
It’s been a pretty fun distraction over the past 10 or so winters, I will say.
With Nebraska joining we are contemplating adding another Coach, but we’ll need to see if the Huskers bring enough to the league (i.e. two-plus players who would get on a roster) warrant an expansion.
For those interested, here’s how the draft went:
- Coach Fish – Draymond Green
- Coach Rowdies – Jared Sullinger
- Coach Keith – Jordan Taylor
- Coach Nick – Tim Hardaway Jr.
1. Nick: John Shurna
2. Fish: Robbie Hummel (back for his 8th year?)
3. Rowdies: Cody Zeller
4. Keith: William Buford
5. Keith: Victor Oladipo
6. Rowdies: Tim Frazier
7. Fish: Drew Crawford
8. Nick: Trey Burke
9. Nick: Bo Spencer (Bo Knows Hoops)
10. Fish: Meyers Leonard
11. Rowdies: Deshaun Thomas
12. Keith: Ben Brust
13. Keith: Melsahn Basabe
14. Rowdies: Christian Watford
15. Fish: Ryan Evans (straight outta Kid `n Play)
16. Nick: D.J. Richardson
17. Nick: Jared Berggren (another polar bear?)
18. Fish: Evan Smotrycz
19. Rowdies: Brandon Paul
20. Keith: Keith Appling
21. Keith: Jordan Morgan
22. Rowdies: Aaron Craft (Greg Paulus, anybody?)
23. Fish: ?? (lost track due to small-batch bourbon…)
24. Nick: ?? (lost track, part II. Will get back to you.)
What do you think? Who did we miss?